Thursday 27 November 2014

Morrissey - Palasport Giovanni Paolo II, Pescara - 19 October 2014

so this was a pretty big deal. Morrissey playing Pescara. the town closest to
where my relatives are in Italy. what are the odds?!! the whole idea was go 
to Italy see relatives, see moz. and my Mum gets to see the man who has
impacted me so much. I found that the cutest thing ever. 


me in my favorite Morrissey t shirt before setting off for the gig.
excuse the doofy expression. I was rather stressed out/excited
in anticipation of the gig ... not to mention the whole trying 
to get a good photo thing ... which I gave up on ;)

only in Italy would be the BOOTLEG MERCH be set up like this!! 
... no, dumped all over the pavements like in the UK!!!

I bought the Meat is Murder/Hatful of Hollow ones below.
why the hell did I not buy the Sheila one above??!! NO IDEA!!!



first glimpse inside of the stage 

the official merch. I bought the t shirt on the right above.
I rather like the WORLD PEACE one below 








The Queen Is Dead
Speedway
Certain People I Know
World Peace Is None Of Your Business 
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Kiss Me A Lot
Neal Cassady Drops Dead
Istanbul
Trouble Loves Me
The Bullfighter Dies
Kick the Bride Down The Aisle
Earth Is The Loneliest Planet
Meat Is Murder
How Soon Is Now?
You Have Killed Me
I'm Not A Man 

Asleep 
Everyday Is Like Sunday 



the realisation that THE QUEEN IS DEAD has just started up shocks me 
so much that for a minute I am so startled, I don't know how to react. 
then I do, I stop recording on the flip immediately. put it into my pocket
and without even thinking, start REACTING to this song.

this is very good, with this first song a precedent has been set, and I 
mean for me in the audience. I have reacted, people near me know 
have reacted. that awkward, just reacting a little bit, all polite and 
conservative thing you do at the start of gigs never even happened ...  
it has been bypassed. and within 30 seconds. 

nice one moz. please start all gigs like this. 

I am jumping up and down punching the air, singing along, all whilst 
still adjusting to the realisation that THIS is happening. I am finally 
hearing this song live, and it could not be any more perfect. live it's 
brutal and powerful and all encompassing. 


the flip was still recording whilst in my pocket!!! this is priceless to me. 
it takes me right back ... hear me during QUEEN at 0:39/1:11 

SPEEDWAY as the second song and FOLLOWING on from what has 
already happened catches me so off guard, and is SO PERFECT that I 
let out the loudest roar/scream within 2 seconds of it starting. listening 
back to it now (at 3:20 above) it gives me goose pimples and made me
well up with tears. that night it was the most perfect moz gig moment
I have EVER been a part of.

listen for me singing along at 3:46 ;)
listen for me singing along at 4:53 ;)

this is the most perfect 2 song gig opener I have ever witnessed.

I love how the the tempo of the song lends itself so well to jumping 
up and down ... and also how the song meanders and almost drifts 
off dreamily and then picks up, meaning that the intensity of your 
reactions is always changing. right up until you get to the 'written lies' 
bit when you are just screaming your lungs out, like you have waited 
2 years for this moment ... oh hang on, YOU HAVE ... and you just 
hear your own voice over everything else. and the realisation hits you, 
of the importance of all this, this moment, to you (6:42/7:04 above)

CERTAIN PEOPLE I KNOW is a good 3rd song. you can just enjoy it, 
in a 'having a rock-a-billy style dance' way. it's not as intense as the 
previous 2 songs, but I wouldn't really want a 3rd song to be. 

it's a joyous 3 minutes revelling in it and marvelling at what has already 
happened.

everyone claps along to the start of WORLD PEACE IS NONE OF YOUR
BUSINESS. and it's a really cute and nice moment. 

I'M THROWING MY ARMS AROUND PARIS is joyous and celebrationary 
and is just plain lovely. I am so happy now, that I am just enjoying it all 
and am totally relaxed

Morrissey says PES-CARA (in 2 parts) after and its the cutest thing ever!

KISS ME A LOT. not a big fave off the album. neverthless it's a cute lil 
thing that you can just sway along to and just immerse yourself in and
enjoy.

Moz reads out a banner "Pescara is happiest Coastal town of all" and
adds "that's what they say la la la la" and it is darn cute. yes people have 
made banners. it's cute and shows what this concert, means to them. 
take note UK ... make banners. show moz you love him/are grateful to 
see him ;)

NEAL CASSADY DROPS DEAD follows on from the mood of before,
except it gets more intense reactions from me, cause I love this song 
so much. the best thing is with the start of the gig having been like 
THAT, I am already in the frame of mind where I JUST DON'T CARE 
... some gigs (not necessarily Moz) you get through the whole gig and 
never reach that stage

and INSTANBUL carries on that frame of mind just lovely ... ISTANBUL
astounds me with it's power and beauty live, which I had noticed instantly
when it was played in Milan. I mean I loved it already, but it is even more
beautiful and touching live. if that is possible. obviously because it is all
happening in front of you and not on a cd, it is going to have a huge impact
on you. and this sure does. 


''By now you expect my Italian to be fluent ... it isn't!!" 
(cute bit at the start of above)

the crowd all cheer when the meandering music intro goes into the start
of TROUBLE LOVES ME ... this song abruptly ends the casual relaxed
atmosphere I have been enjoying in previous songs. obviously, it's THIS
SONG ...  the emotions slowly building up in me. my voice getting louder 
until all I can hear is my voice over everything around me ... and by the 
time it gets to the 'charlatanize me' and the "so english frowning" bit 
I am screaming the words out like I have never been touched by any 
other words so deeply. 

hear off-key brit singing (me, not moz) at 4.18/4.28/4.50/5.03 /5.23/5.28
and err 5.43 hahaha



the start of HOW SOON IS NOW vibrates through. it is so loud and 
apocalyptic that I instantly start jumping up and down and never let up. 
NO-ONE ELSE REACTS.

it makes no difference. I carry on doing the same, I think of Daz, who 
I know would be doing the same if he was here ... this is even better 
than when I heard it in Manchester 2012. I am not going to waste how 
I have already felt earlier in this gig, to suddenly NOT react now, even 
if I am all alone.

so I go for it ... like I never have gone for it ever before. all alone.

above at 1:44. right hand corner. the 2 arms punching the air. that 
is me. keep an eye on that corner (and me) as the song progresses ;)
haha me at 2:23. pretty funny to see myself. I guess I #kinda went for
it!!! ;)

at the end, some guy appears from nowhere and starts jumping up 
and down with me!! ... it was a nice moment to realise one other 
person had to react in a similiar way



then something funny happened. I decided to move. move from the 
right hand side where I had been all gig, into the crowd. just decided 
to do it. I wanted to be more near the front. so I did. the italians were 
not too impressed with someone squeezing by them. but oh well. I had 
made up my mind ... that makes me sound a very confident person!!! 
which I am not, I just wanted to be closer to Moz, and wasn't gonna let 
their faces of disapprovement stop me. so I get to just a few rows from 
the front as ASLEEP starts up and film it on my Flip (above) how perfect 
and beautiful is it?? it meant a lot to the crowd, people were all singing 
along all around me.



EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY starts up, it all goes a bit mental. I am 
on the 2nd row. it's chaotic and beautiful. intense and life affirming. 
it affects me in a way that it hasn't for years. when you like a song so
much and it has affected you so strongly so much in the past, it can be 
hard for it to affect you on the same level every time. but tonight it was
back to how it had used to affect me. hitting me all at once, the power
and beauty (and desperation) of it

and this is where things go weird. very weird. good weird.
see 0:14 above

morrissey tickles my fingers
MORRISSEY TICKLES MY FINGERS!!!!!

this affected me so much, and left me in such a state I had no idea
he had even done a shirt toss at the end of the song.

see a different view (from just behind me) below at 2:41 

excuse me while I go cry for 500 years.
I AM NOT EVEN LYING.
these videos make me want to cry right here. right now.
from happiness. I am a wuss. I am G.

also, how fkng amazing and JOYOUS does it sound??!!
I was DYING OF HAPPINESS  before he even tickled my fingers
best live version I have ever been a part of.



needless to say. I was in a daze as the gig ended. 
I am so happy that I had decided to move into the crowd.
I never could have expected that to happen.
and before that it had been a perfect gig.

I had no words for my happiness.

update on post moz gig experiences.
my mum really liked it (Sunday was fave)
my uncle who previously said he did not really like the
cd versions of the songs that much really enjoyed it all live
(update: he loves the cds now)
so impressed was he, he could not work out how he had never
saw the Smiths in the 80s when he was seeing Simple Minds,
U2 etc 

his girlfriend loved it. she is even more obsessed with his songs now
LET ME KISS YOU is her fave (she loves the hollywood live version)
but she loved that song before the gig, I had told her I doubt it would
be played. she loves it even more now. she can't stop listening to the
cds. we are gonna go see moz the next time he plays Italy.

final thoughts on gig.
best 2 song start to a moz gig ever.
Trouble killed me and How Soon is now finished me off. 
no words for Sunday.

I love you Morrissey.
thanks for the tickle. 

3 comments: